Friday, June 6, 2014

My Dog Prefers Reality TV

Yes, it’s true; my dog does prefer reality TV.  His version is much more true to life.  The neighbors probably have no idea how much entertainment they give my happy little pooch each and every day.  Normally it’s just watching them go to and from their cars.  Picking up their little grandson and allowing him to run around in the yard. Though, today the little puppy got a special treat.  They decided to have a yard sale.  You should've seen his little eyes light up as people got out of their cars and didn't disappear into the yellow house but instead were on full display looking at different items in the driveway.
I often wonder what he sees?  A leaf blowing in the wind is enough to send him racing.  I have seen him go nuts over a speck of dust being carried in the wind.
Being a dog and confined to your owner’s house for much of your existence must put a different emphasis on what’s important in life.  He doesn't care about advancements, money, or being online all he wants is to go for a walk, get a treat or just be by your side.
Watching this little dog set in front of the window reminds me of my Grandfather.  You see, he died several years ago.  I loved him dearly and I think of him from time to time.  Like most people would over a loved one who passed.  I am reminded of what he taught me.  One of those things was something called people watching.
You see my grandfather, whom I’d call Pops would sit for hours on park benches and more notably in the mall while my grandmother shopped.  I remember doing this with him.
I asked him “what are you doing we just sitting here, you don’t talk much?”
His response, “look around you, you’ll notice things better.  Like what people are wearing and their body language”
To a budding artist nothing is as valuable as that information.  Since that time, probably a little bit before it but I'm not keeping records, I started to sketch.  Going out to malls and Parks to draw was a favorite pass time.  Bringing my little sketchbooks everywhere I went, noticing things about people. Not things like phone numbers, security numbers, or personal information but, what clothes they had on and how they held their body. Valuable information for any Artist.
I stood there with him (the dog), looking out at the neighbors watching them.  Much like I did before noticing how they moved.  It’s funny how simple dog can bring back such deep and thoughtful advice and happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment